I really really like Urban/Contemporary Fantasy, where the supernatural and the mundane exist unknowingly side by side. Of course, as I am a big fan of the White Wolf games like Vampire, Changeling and Mage, this is not really a surprise.
So I would like to have a setting inspired by those games, but a bit more inclusive and yet more narrow in focus. For one thing: since I run games about vampires most of the time, a basic guideline will be: There are no vampires. They simply don't exist. There might be creatures that could be confused with vampires, but in the end they will be different and just be mistaken by the uninformed observer for a vampire.
For inspiration I am looking at some TV series I like:
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer
- Teen Wolf (MTV series, not Michael J. Fox movies)
- The Secret Circle
- The Vampire Diaries
- True Blood
Also, the movie "The Covenant" will be an influence.
Then there are of course games I like and that will serve as inspiration. I am staying clear of anything White Wolf here, because I would like to be different.
Strangely, books will have less of an impact, as I want to steer clear of the Dresden Files and they constitute the majority of Urban Fantasy I read. But that still leaves Steve Berman's short story collection "Trysts" and his novel "Vintage: A Ghost Story".
A lot of the sources deal with teenagers and the supernatural. So I am narrowing the setting down to a High School where teenagers slowly discover their supernatural heritage, the issues that come with it and the obligations they owe.