Then I set back and took a look at the setting. I even started to construct the map for the campaign area. But gradually I realized that the setting is complete, but that maybe I just don't want to play there. It feels dated, it doesn't match my current sensibilities.
My influences on the setting were:
- Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
- David Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon
- Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon
- Diana L. Paxson's The White Raven
- Mercedes Lackey's The Last Herald Mage
- A hint of Robert Asprin's & Lynn Abbey's Sanctuary
- The AD&D 2nd Edition Historical Reference series (Age of Heroes, The Celts)
- Myranor (a setting for the German role-playing game The Dark Eye)
All in all pretty standard, but my tastes have changed in the last 28 years (maybe not changed, but shifted). Instead of the above I would rather like to DM in a settting inspired by:
- Richard Morgan's World in Need of Heroes (The Steel Remains, The Cold Commands, The Dark Defiles)
- Tanith Lee's Tales of the Flat Earth
- Mary Renault's The Persian Boy
- More than a hint of Robert Asprin's & Lynn Abbey's Sanctuary
- The Spartacus TV Series (Gods of the Arena, Blood & Sand, Vengeance, War of the Damned)
- The Vikings TV Series
- The setting of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (just plain awesome)
In short, a somewhat grittier, edgier, moodier, darker and more exotic setting. A setting of sands and silk, sweltering nights and desperate days, splendor and decadence. A setting that marginalizes the standard races like halflings, dwarves, elves and gnomes, and instead features dragonborn, tieflings and drow. And I guess, I just hit on my working title Sand & Silk.