Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Steampunk: Design Guidelines

Last time I discussed the various Steampunk RPGs I own with quick notes about what I like and dislike about them. Now, let's get this focused for an actual Steampunk setting.

The setting will:

  • Be set in the actual 19th century as a starting point.
  • Be set on Earth. Countries and cities will conform to real world historical cities and countries.
  • Have a divergent history from our own.
  • Have devices running on steam and mechanics instead of electricity and electronics.
  • Have actual magic. System needs to be discussed.
  • Include some discussion on Victorian values (slightly updated, but recognizable).

The setting will not:

  • Have fantasy races. In my opinion they don't fit with a believable Victorian aesthetic and serve no real purpose except sell the game to die hard fantasy fans.
  • Be set on a pseudo-Earth. Serves no purposes, except increasing the amount of detail that has to be created.
  • Feature regular trips to other planets. If I want to do that, I can play Space 1889.



No comments:

Post a Comment