Now, my own game table has a rotating player roster. As a direct consequence, I try to finish a scenario in one session (like a TV show). That way, going by the book, all consequences would be recovered at the end of a game session. Not to mention achieving a significant milestone after each game session. That's a bit too fast for my tastes on both counts.
So I am going to change the recovery of consequences:
- Minor consequences still recover one scene after they have been treated somehow.
- Moderate consequences downgrade to a minor consequence at the beginning of the next game session the character participates in.
- Severe consequences downgrade to a moderate consequence at the beginning of the next game session the character participates in.
Now about milestones:
- A minor milestone is hit at the end of each game session (as per the rules in FATE Core).
- Significant milestones are lost and replaced with an experience system. You gain one experience point each time you play and three experience points can be traded for a skill point. Thus, I keep to the recommendation of awarding a skill point every two to three sessions.
- Major milestones stay as the are and are achieved at the end of a campaign by the whole group.
With these rules tweaks, I should be able to address the issue of the shifting player roster. What do you think?