Saturday, January 5, 2013

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Yes, I know that according to FATE Core you should ideally talk with your players about the setting and then create it together. But I would like to pitch a setting to the players and then add more setting info and details based on their input.

I really really like Urban/Contemporary Fantasy, where the supernatural and the mundane exist unknowingly side by side. Of course, as I am a big fan of the White Wolf games like Vampire, Changeling and Mage, this is not really a surprise.

So I would like to have a setting inspired by those games, but a bit more inclusive and yet more narrow in focus. For one thing: since I run games about vampires most of the time, a basic guideline will be: There are no vampires. They simply don't exist. There might be creatures that could be confused with vampires, but in the end they will be different and just be mistaken by the uninformed observer for a vampire.

For inspiration I am looking at some TV series I like:


Also, the movie "The Covenant" will be an influence.

Then there are of course games I like and that will serve as inspiration. I am staying clear of anything White Wolf here, because I would like to be different.


Strangely, books will have less of an impact, as I want to steer clear of the Dresden Files and they constitute the majority of Urban Fantasy I read. But that still leaves Steve Berman's short story collection "Trysts" and his  novel "Vintage: A Ghost Story".

A lot of the sources deal with teenagers and the supernatural. So I am narrowing the setting down to a High School where teenagers slowly discover their supernatural heritage, the issues that come with it and the obligations they owe.

2 comments:

  1. For one thing: since I run games about vampires most of the time, a basic guideline will be: There are no vampires. They simply don't exist. There might be creatures that could be confused with vampires, but in the end they will be different and just be mistaken by the uninformed observer for a vampire.


    This bit is a tad confusing. Especially since 3 of your 6 cited inspirations are vamp based.

    Could you elaborate or post an example of something that "might be mistaken for a vampire" but isnt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The inspiration maybe vampire-based, but none of them are exclusively about vampires. Each has other critters running around as well. But most of the inspirational sources are about teenagers (except True Blood). I could have mentioned Dawson's Creek as well (nothing supernatural, but it starts out in high school).

    A succubus could be mistaken for a vampire, or a nightmare (as in fae that sits on your chest and eats your lifeforce). Actually anything that sustains itself with the lifeforce of other people.

    But I am probably ditching the complete vampire-like creatures angle. I want to do something different.

    ReplyDelete