Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Old School+

The last couple of days, I have been looking at the Adventurer Conqueror King System (ACKS) and Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG (DCC). Both look interesting. As some of my players indicated that LotFP maybe a bit too bland in the way of character options, both of these games look more promising.

While DCC doesn't allow for too much character choice, it looks like the Mighty Deeds of Arms and the Luck mechanic promise an interesting game play. I also like how DCC captures the feel of Sword & Sorcery almost perfectly. Actually, I think DCC delivers mechanically on the flavor LotFP tries to achieve.

ACKS is intriguing in other ways. Here, you get more options for building your characters with Proficiencies as well as interesting options for high-level play. Places were LotFP is notably lacking.

What I find odd are the character sheets compared to the books. Where ACKS has a fairly modern layout, its character sheet shines! It reminds me of the Fighting Fantasy books. It gets you in the right mindset. On the other hand, the DCC character sheet is bland and uninspiring, while the rule book reads very interestingly and has brilliant retro-style layout that just inspires your imagination.I really really wish that DCC would have an equally atmospheric character sheet...

Oh yes, and I learned that all three games (LotFP, DCC and ACKS) are considered old school+ games. RPGs that take the basic old school sensibilities and add some modern flavor to them instead of being another retro-clone that tries to exactly mirror the source material.

Maybe I will do some re-imagining of the Lands Beyond the Drowning Woods to conform to DCC. The flavor of the rules fits the flavor of the campaign setting. I could easily see the Weird Warlock as a patron in the DCC-Style. A mighty wizard who has left mortality behind. I think the gods already match-up pretty well to the style of DCC. I just need to give them some stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment